What is AWA?
- Anime Weekend Atlanta is a 4 day convention held annually at the Cobb Galleria, and Renaissance Waverly Hotel. The event is a family-friendly celebration of Japanese anime (animation), manga (comics) and cosplay (costume-play) and is held annually during the last weekend of September.
- AWA was first organized in 1994, with the first convention held in 1995. Since then, AWA has been recognized as one of the most popular Japanese Animation conventions in the United States, and one of the top ten attended anime conventions in North America. In 2016, over 28,000 people attended the event.
Why does AWA exist?
AWA has three goals in hosting its events
- Provide a venue for fans of Japanese Animation and Manga to come together in a festive environment
- Educate people about the history and culture surrounding Anime and Manga by hosting guests from the industry
- Learn about Japanese culture through animation and comics
Who are the people behind the curtain?
- We’re all fans, just like you. Every dollar spent by attendees goes back into making the show bigger and better for subsequent years. We do this for the love of anime, caffeine, and the smiles on peoples faces when they’ve met their idol or made a new friend.
What can I do at AWA?
- AWA offers a wide variety of fan panels, guests from all over the world, concerts, activities, video games, table top games and cosplay galleries. Not only that, but we have an expansive dealer’s room, and incredible artist alley, and the cutest maid cafe you ever will see.
- Not only do we offer 24 hour programming, but AWA is a fun place to meet people and make new friends- and not to mention snap a few pictures of some amazing cosplays.