Do you want to compete with the best of the best costumers at AWA? Enter our Cosplay Contest! For an idea of what you’ll need to be qualified please see below. Rules may be subject to change.
The AWA Costume Contest is held Saturday night. Contestants are pre-judged before the show on craftsmanship by a panel of judges. Our costume contest is intended for attendees who have made 75% of their own costume. Those who do not want to be judged, may enter the contest as a walk-on exhibition.
Cosplay Contest Registration
On-site registration for the cosplay contest will be at Williams Ballroom “G” in the Cobb Galleria Center on Friday from 10:00 am to 6:00 pm and on Saturday from 9:00 am to 12:00 pm OR until all slots are filled. Registration for a judging time slot is first come, first served. Entry slots are limited.
This year, we are providing an online entry form to help speed up the cosplay registration process at the convention. Filling out this form does NOT guarantee a judging spot, but it does mean you don’t have to fill out a form in full cosplay wearing your wrist gauntlets that aren’t so bendy.
On the online form, you will submit your email address, legal name, the name of the character you are entering, and a reference image.
Contestants must register for a judging time slot in person at the convention. On Friday, September 21st, contestants will have the option to sign up for a judging timeslot on Friday OR one of a limited amount of morning timeslots on Saturday. Once those limited timeslots are filled, contestants must choose one of the remaining Friday judging time slots or wait until Saturday morning, to register for any remaining timeslots for that day.
Please remember, that spots are limited. We want to showcase and see everyone but, we must limit spots. If you have any questions, please feel free to email email@example.com.
Cosplay Contest Judges
Judges will be announced prior to the convention!
Awards will be given to the winner from the below categories as decided by our panel of judges:
- Best Anime
- Best Manga
- Best Other Media
- Best Video Game
- Best Fantasy
Cosplay Contest Prizes
Youth Category Prizes
- $50.00 prize funds
Novice Category Prizes
- $100.00 CASH
Journeyman Category Prizes
- $150.00 CASH
Master Category Prizes
- $400.00 CASH
- Guest and Judge offer for AWA 2019
- 2019 Hotel Reservation
Rules and Guidelines
- All contestants must have a current membership to Anime Weekend Atlanta.
- All awards presented are at the judges’ discretion.
- Registration is open on Friday and Saturday morning UNTIL all judged time slots are filled.
- Judging will be held on Friday, 1:00 pm to 4:00 pm and Saturday from 10:00 am to 1:00 pm.
- Costume judging is not open to the public. Only participants, handlers, and parents of those in the Youth category may be present.
- Children 15 years of age and under will be judged separately in the Youth category. Parents are required to accompany entrants in the Youth division.
- All costumes must adhere to the AWA dress code. Keep it clean – AWA is family-friendly.
- Reference images will not be returned, so please don’t give us anything you want to keep.
- Hand-drawn reference images are only allowed for Original Design entrants.
- Fan art, however beautiful, is not an acceptable reference image.
- Reference images need to be in color and on paper.
- Reference images will be accepted online through our pre-registration website
- Registration forms will be available during the convention for those who do not pre-register
- If you are part of a group, only pre-register ONE TIME on the AWA website.
- You must attend the judging session and Contest Presentation in the costume you’re entering.
- Any personal items you bring to the Contest Presentation will go with you on stage. AWA volunteers do not hold personal belongings
- Judging is done by appointment ONLY. You will get your appointment time when you register on-site
- If any contestant becomes unruly and disrupts or interferes with the Costume Contest at any time, they will be disqualified and asked to leave. If they continue to be disruptive, their convention badge and membership will be revoked and security will escort them from the premises.
- Skits will not be accepted into the Costume Contest.
- Only one entry per person. Competing in multiple groups is not allowed.
- The AWA Costume Contest encourages costumers of all skill levels to enter. Keeping this in mind, we will require any professional costumers who enter our contest to enter either the Masters category or the Exhibition category in recognition of your hard work for the whole convention to see.
- A professional costumer is anyone who receives a significant portion of their income from costume design, construction, or sales.
- If you have any questions, please reach out directly to the Cosplay Director at firstname.lastname@example.org.