Everything is tentative and subject to change based on the latest science and CDC guidelines. Updates may be made to this policy/page at any time.
Last updated: July 18, 2021
All participants are required to wear masks. Hotel staff, convention staff, AWA directors and crew, vendors, artists, exhibitors, any human over the age of 2 must have a mask on at all times (with the exception of eating or drinking). This policy will be strictly enforced. There may be specific locations for consumption of drinks/food. Please note, you cannot take off your mask for photos unless you are outside.
- Fully cover both your mouth and nose. If you do not have a nose, this also includes beaks, trunks, nostril slits, or snouts.
- Be made with at least 2 layers of breathable material. This does not include mesh.
- Fit snugly but comfortably against the side of the face
- Be secured with ties or ear loops and allow you to remain hands-free
Masks must not
- be neck gaiters, t-shirts pulled up over your face, bandanas or scarves – CDC guidance says these do not do an adequate job of blocking particles
- have a release valve – valves expel your exhaled air and thus are not useful in stopping the spread of COVID19
- have holes or be made of mesh, tulle, screen material, organza, etc.
If you are unsure if your mask qualifies under this policy, it probably doesn’t, but you can send a picture to email@example.com to be sure.
If you’ve somehow managed to go a year and a half without a mask and need one, we will have disposable masks available at the door for $1. We will also have custom reusable AWA masks available for sale at the AWA store. Pricing TBA.
AWA is also requiring vaccinations for all participants (yes that includes you).
- Due to…like….everything in the world, and the nature of the vaccination cards, you will not need your vaccination card to pick up your badge.
- Those who do bring their vaccination card will get a special sticker that completes your badge design. This does not give you any special access or perks, but it does allow others to have peace of mind.
- If you are unable to receive the vaccine due to extenuating circumstances (age, religion, medical), you are participating in the event at your own risk.
Additional Details & Protocols
- To minimize risk, eating and drinking may be restricted to certain areas. If that is the case, signage will mark where you can and cannot eat
- To assist with those who may be hard of hearing, panelists will be provided face shields while on stage. While presenting, they may remove their masks, but must wear the face shield.
- Microphones/face shields will be wiped down between uses
- Hand sanitizer stands will be available throughout the Galleria and Renaissance Waverly for attendees.
- Please do not attend if you are experiencing any COVID19 (or any other illness!) symptoms.
- If you begin feeling unwell while at the convention, please head to Usagi Med so they can check you out and determine if you need to leave or not. Based on the situation, we will offer discounts/credit for a future year.
- Wash your hands frequently/shower/etc
- Bear in mind that guests will have varying levels of comfort with human contact. We will do our best to communicate ahead of time what each guests’ requests are. It is possible that they may change their preferences during the convention to be more or less restrictive. Please be patient and understanding so that the guest will feel comfortable and want to come back in future years!
- If you are feeling unwell at the time of the convention, STAY HOME and then email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We are happy to refund you partially or fully as the case may be, or roll your membership over to next year.